If you haven’t already set up your business on Google, you may want to consider doing it. Here’s why:
- 97% of consumers read online reviews for local businesses
- 90% used the internet to find a local business in the last year
- 85% trust reviews just as much as word-of-mouth
- 68% say positive reviews increase their trust in a local business
Local Consumer Review Survey, 2019
Follow this link to: Google My Business
- Sign in with your gmail account. You can use a personal or business gmail account. If you don’t have one you can create it here. Follow the simple directions given to do that.
- On the next screen, type in your business name. If it’s not on Google already, you can add it here. If it is, Google will connect it with you. Click the “Next” button.
- Choose the category that most closely fits your business. Click the “Next” button.
- If you want to add a storefront location, add it here. If you don’t have a storefront, no problem. Just select “No” for this page. Click the “Next” button.
Read this article for details: No Storefront? No Problem! How to Create a Google My Business Listing for Your “Service Area Business”
- On the next page, choose your service areas. There will be a list of suggestions below or you can type cities and states in manually. Click the “Next” button.
- If you want to add your business phone number and website in your listing, enter them here. If not, leave the space for phone number empty and/or select “I don’t need a website.” Click the “Next” button.
- Read the next screen through, then click the “Finish” button.
- You will be directed to enter your mailing address to verify, but this will be hidden from the public. Note, you can’t enter a PO box here.
- Next, Google will send you a postcard in the mail to verify that you are indeed at that address. Enter your contact name in the blank, then click the “Mail” button. The next page validates that Google is now in the process of sending you the postcard.
- You can continue here by adding the services your business provides or skip. Click the “Save” button when you’re finished.
You can choose “Skip” from any point or continue by following the directions. As soon as your business is verified, your business listing will go live.
- Once it is live, go to your Google My Business Home (dashboard).
- Look for the box entitled “Get your first review”.
- Click the “Share review form” button.
Google gives you:
- a link to paste in an email
- the ability to share that link on some of your social media sites
- a link to “Share via email”. For this choice, it will just open up an email on your desktop’s email client. The email will have the link for your clients to follow to leave a review for you. It also includes the words, “[your business name] would love your feedback. Post a review to our profile.”
You can then compose an email to your clients and ask them to leave a positive Google review like we did with you.